Saturday 25 October 2014

Food for thought

It's funny, but people not included, many of the things that I seem to miss from home are food or drink related.  There are lots of things that I do miss about home, the scenery, the television, and the history among many other things, but I often find myself thinking about food and drink from home that I can't have.

My mate marmite

Of course like many things, the fact that I can't have it makes me want it all the more. You can get some things over here, from the 'special' section of the supermarket, or from one of those British shops, but most things cost a fortune and I can't really justify that.

Good old beef tea; bovril

The things that I really miss though, are the things that you just can't get over here.  Every time I see a UK detective program on TV (which I have to admit I'm a bit of a fan of) and they end up in the pub (which they usually do) I find myself craving a pint.  Not a pint of cold, fizzy stuff, there's plenty of that over here, but a pint of real beer. Flat and warm, the way that it's supposed to be.  Ideally with some pork scratchings or salt and vinegar crisps, or smoky bacon. Proper thin cut crisps, not the thick sliced 'chips' you get over here.

Mushy peas!

Talking of chips, I miss chips from a British Chippy, with vinegar.  Of course there are fish and chip shops over here, and the fish is good, but the 'hot' chips just aren't quite there.  The smell from a UK fish and chip shop one of those smells that just makes you really hungry, even if you've just eaten.

Best biscuits ever

The food I miss most of all though, is my Mum's cooking.  I suppose that's what it all comes down to though, food that reminds me of home is comforting.  Like smells and sounds, taste evokes memories and comforting thoughts. It's perhaps a good job that I haven't got access to all of these things that I'm craving at the moment, especially as I'm trying to deal with food baby.......

No comments:

Post a Comment