Monday 30 November 2015

Murder on Black Friday - P.B.Ryan

Murder on a Black Friday - P.B.Ryan
I have to admit, one of the reasons I love this series this much, is because I'm slightly in love with Will. I know that it might sound a little strange to be in love with a character in a book. But, believe me, it's quite normal and this isn't the only character that this has happened with. Of course, it's the whole relationship that's developing between Will and Nell, and Murder on a Black Friday has plenty of that.

I couldn't resist starting the fourth book, even thought I've been trying to spread them out a bit more this time. I did read a few other things between the last Nell book and this one though.

This time, we find that Will hasn't been off on one of his jaunts, but is instead working at Harvard. It's through this position that they find another mystery that needs solving. Will has been doing the odd autopsy here and there on suspicious deaths and finds himself doing two seeming unrelated deaths, that both appear to be suicides. Looking into them a little closer though, just to make sure that this is the case, it soon becomes apparent that there is a link between the two deaths and that they are not as straightforward as may have first appeared.

The historical setting of this murder, was a market crash caused by the collapse of the gold market in September 1869. It's not something that I've heard of before, but market crashes and people loosing everything overnight have certainly not been unheard of since then. I thought that using this as the beginning of the mystery was really interesting and helped paint a picture of a period, I don't really know a great deal about.

Nell and Will work well together to get to the bottom of what has happened and the relationship between then continues to grow and deepen. Will begins to push for more than Nell is able, even if she is willing, to give. If you're enjoying the development of the relationship between them, then you'll both love and hate the end of the book, but that's all I'm going to say about that, for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment