Monday 19 December 2016

A Beautiful Glittering Lie - J.D.R. Hawkins

Renegade Series Tour

I have to admit that prior to starting the Renegade series, I hadn't got a great deal of knowledge about the American Civil war. My knowledge of American history full stop is a little patchy, so I wasn't totally sure about the subject of these books. Luckly though, I got to read all three books in the series recently. Here's my review of the first, A Beautiful Glittering Lie.

A Beautiful Glittering Lie

A Beautiful Glittering LieIn the spring of 1861, a country once united is fractured by war. Half of America fights for the Confederate cause; the other, for unification. Rebel forces have already seized Fort Morgan and Fort Gaines, a new Confederate president has been elected, and the Constitution has been revised. In northern Alabama, a farmer and father of three decides to enlist. 

For Hiram Summers, it is the end of everything he has ever known. After Hiram travels to Virginia with the Fourth Alabama Infantry Regiment, he is quickly thrust into combat. His son, David, who must stay behind, searches for adventure at home by traipsing to Huntsville with his best friend, Jake Kimball, to scrutinize invading Yankees. Meanwhile, Caroline Hiram s wife and David s mother struggles to keep up with the farm as her world revolves around the letters she receives from her husband, whom she misses dearly. 

As Hiram and his son discover the true meaning of war, they soon realize that their choices have torn their family apart. In this historical tale, the naivete of a young country is tested, a father sacrifices everything to defend his home, and a young man longs for adventure regardless of the perilous cost. Civil war tore families apart, and many of those families fought to stay together every step of the way. 

My Review

I really enjoyed this book. I may not know a great deal about the American Civil War, but it really didn't matter. I found myself easily transported to the time. The characters were well written and the story really drew me in. 

In this first book, there is equal focus on the father of the family, Hiram, and his son, David. For Hiram, the war is about signing up and fighting, while for his son remains at home and takes care of the family. David longs to do his part and take part in the adventure, fighting for his country and beliefs. Hiram is soon faced with the harsh realities of war and quickly comes to see that it perhaps isn't all glory and excitement.

The conditions that the soldiers are faced with are well portrayed, and the hardships and dangers that the family left behind have to cope with, are well depicted. I was soon drawn into the story and the issues that they all faced. The story moved on at a great pace and I finished this book quickly, even though the storyline and events were quite complex. I was gripped and had to find out what would happen next. 

I'm really looking forward to the next books in the series. 

No comments:

Post a Comment